- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes with skin on, boiled until tender, cooled and peeled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 unbaked pie shells
Makes two (9-inch) pies
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Beat sweet potatoes with brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer.
Mix in eggs.
Add melted butter, then add ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract, and mix well.
Stir in milk; then stir in lemon extract.
Pour filling into pie shells.
Place pie in oven, immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 60 minutes or until center of pie is firm.
Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 1 hour before eating and at least 2 hours before packaging.
Photo by Tracy Walsh