One thing that almost always grows well in a Minnesota garden is zucchini. This recipe, one of my childhood favorites, is a creative and delicious way to enjoy the harvest of summer squash, green or yellow. You can just pretend it’s healthy!
Nana’s Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-13 baking pan lightly with butter.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Mix butter, oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture.
- Add grated zucchini and mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips
- and brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Megan Devine lives with her husband and four school-age children in Northeastern Minnesota, where she loves to explore cookbooks and try new recipes. Follow her blog at kidsandeggs.com.