MAKES 8 (1-CUP) SERVINGS
Imogene, Xeng and Ali with Urban Roots put together a “never in Roots salad history” salad when they created this mix featuring pickled kohlrabi and cabbage. Chef Shack owners Carrie Summer and Lisa Carlson taught the team how to put the punch in their pickled produce. This Cajun-inspired mix is topped with a creamy yogurt dressing and chopped pecans. We think it’s a grand slam.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 star anise
- 2 cups shredded
- 2 cups shredded
- ⅓ cup sliced red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can blackeyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup sweet peas or chopped sugar snap peas
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco or hot sauce to taste
- Coarse salt to taste
8 cups mixed salad greens
Topper: Toasted chopped pecans
- To make pickled vegetables, mix water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and star anise in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; pour over cabbage, kohlrabi, and red onion in a medium bowl. Let stand 1 hour. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in pickled vegetables.
- To make the dressing, whisk yogurt, oil, honey, lemon juice, zest, paprika and Tabasco together until smooth.
- Stir half of the dressing into the salad mixture and gently toss to coat. Spoon salad onto greens; drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with pecans.
Many thanks to our incredible partners | ©Roots for the Home Team 2017